Do you love working with children between the ages of 5 to 18?
Are you comfortable talking and teaching in Hindi?
Are you game to forgoing city life for a while and adapting to a simple village lifestyle in the Uttarakhand Himalayas?
You are the person we are looking for.
TO APPLY, CLICK HERE.
From the time Happy Children’s Library was founded in 2016, it has grown to become a learning centre for the children of surrounding villages as well as a community centre for their families.
The library sees steady attendance from the children who come to the library for reading, storytelling and classes in Math, English and Computer literacy. Of course, games and fun activities are also an important part, and often become a medium for imparting life skills and vocational skills through co-curricular activities!
In addition to a small team that conducts these learning sessions at the library in Seem, there has been a constant influx of guests and volunteers who visit from time to time and conduct a variety of different sessions for the children.
Now, to provide a continuous learning experience for the children, we are starting a Fellowship Program for people with some experience in teaching and pedagogy, who can sustain a high quality of education and learning through a variety of methods and activities.
Fellowship program details
|Duration of the fellowship:||6 months (1st April 2020 to 30th September 2020)|
|Number of fellows:||2 (Two fellows will be working together during the same 6-month period, on different project)|
|Responsibilities:||The full scope of work will be arrived at after a detailed discussion between the fellows and the coordinators. |
Based on their experience, interest and the discussion, selected fellows will work in areas such as
– Learning sessions: STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) and Computer Literacy
– Reading and writing: Activities related to the library, such as improving reading skills/storytelling/activities around books/creative writing
– Library outreach: Assisting in the library outreach programme to set up libraries in other locations
– Documentation: Assistance in documentation of the library’s initiatives
– Impact assessments: Conducting case studies on the impact of the initiatives
|Expected outcomes:||– Improvement in learning levels of the children |
– Increased exposure to non-formal education
– Improvement and regular follow ups on library’s outreach programme
|Remuneration and logistics:||All expenses for travel to and from Delhi, board and lodging will be covered. Remuneration can be discussed based on the candidate’s experience.|
What the fellows will get from the experience:
- The fellows will gain grassroots exposure and experience by working closely in a village setting in rural Uttarakhand.
- They will have the freedom to innovate and experiment with new ways to teach the children, try different pedagogies and work with the community at large.
- They will receive a certificate as well as a letter of recommendation from KPET once they successfully complete the program.
Selection and application process:
Applicants should be passionate about working with children and be able to adequately demonstrate their ability in this area of work.
Since this is a long term involvement, 5 shortlisted applicants will be invited to spend one week at a time in Seem interacting with the children, to help them acquaint themselves with our needs as well as give us an insight into their suitability and capabilities in sync with our requirements.
Round 1 (written application): Please send your resume and a brief statement of purpose (not more than 200 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com . You can also apply through this Google form linked here.
TO APPLY, CLICK HERE.
Round 2 (telephonic interview): Shortlisted candidates will go through a telephonic interview.
Round 3 (visit): 5 shortlisted candidates will be invited for a week-long stay, to get a feel of the work and the environment as well as to demonstrate their suitability for the assignment. The final selection would be based on their assessment during this trial period. The selected applicants will be intimated on or before 20th March 2020.